A CDN, or Content Delivery Network can improve your website’s performance while at the same time save you bandwidth. Here’s 3 reasons to use a CDN.
1: CDNs help to improve caching
The fastest way to get data to a client is by not sending it at all. If the client already has the data in his local cache, we can save ourselves the overhead of a data transfer and the latency that comes with the associated request / response cycle.
Web Storage API
HTML5 gave us this beautiful thing: consistent cross-browser local storage of ‘vast amounts’ of data on the visitor’s computer in the form of the Web Storage API. The default quota is 5MB, which is huge compared to cookies. I’m using it in the development of Bridal App. It allows the app to respond near-instant to user actions and continue to function even when offline. All modern browsers support it (on desktop as well as on mobile) so life is great. Right?
For some years now I’ve had the feeling that Firefox’ development has been going in the wrong direction. The software just never seemed to get back to the speedy experience we had with Firefox 2.
Another project I have had this feeling with is Eclipse.
It turns out that both these projects share a commonality: long, standing, unresolved issues to core functionality.
Have a look at this Firefox issue:
Bug 195361 – Can’t select text from disabled form fields
MySQL’s utf8 is broken
MySQL really made a mess here. What they are calling
utf8 really isn’t. Hidden away in the MySQL manual we can read this:
“The character set named utf8 uses a maximum of three bytes per character and contains only BMP characters.”
Loosely translated: MySQL utf8 is broken. Don’t use it.
When I tried to install the Openshift Client Tools all seemed well until I tried to run
C:/Ruby22-x64/lib/ruby/2.2.0/rubygems/core_ext/kernel_require.rb:54:in `require': cannot load such file -- dl/import (LoadError)
from C:/Ruby22-x64/lib/ruby/2.2.0/rubygems/core_ext/kernel_require.rb:54:in `require'
from C:/Ruby22-x64/lib/ruby/gems/2.2.0/gems/net-ssh-2.9.2/lib/net/ssh/authentication/pageant.rb:1:in `'
In a previous blog post I complained that Microsoft is allowing deceptive adds (the kind that drives our grandparents crazy) in Skype. This seems strange as one would expect Microsoft to protect it’s good name.
However it seems Microsoft could still do worse. So they didn’t give up and changed the Skype installer to install bloatware. And Yes, MSN and Bing plugins are just that, bloatware. My Skype told me that there was an update so I ran it and look what the Setup screen is showing me:
Yes that’s right. To enable or disable two options I get half of a checkbox. Thank you guys! It seems I’m not the only one that noticed this as there is a slew of threads on this on the Skype community forums. Here is just a sample, there are many, many pages of threads about this issue: